1. Both people must be willing to get to know each other. You can know someone only to the extent that he or she is willing to be known. One-sided relationships are always dead ends.
2. Both people must gain personal knowledge of each other, i.e., not just know about them but know them personally. It would be like reading an in-depth biography of a person but never spending any personal time with them.
3. A third condition for a growing relationship is openness, acceptance and forgiveness. People often put on a false front because they don’t want others to know who they really are because they fear rejection. As we offer acceptance and forgiveness (versus judgement) people feel safe to share their real selves.
4. A fourth condition is time spent in communication – talking, listening and sharing thoughts and feelings.
5. Fifth, a growing relationship is developed through action – love must be demonstrated and expressed. The relationship grows as we respond to the needs and desires of one another.